Thursday, November 8, 2007

Navigating Rough Phone Lines

I was planning on writing about the Nathan's play date today, and probably still will, but I'm really tempted to rant about government offices and waiting to talk to a real person. I just spent 15 frustrated minutes on the DMV phone system to end up with a very unsatisfactory answer. And right now I am trying to get through Department of Social Services phone lines (long story) and I am convinced that they have about a half dozen phone lines that they say that you can talk to a real person, but they really just ignore them. I have been waiting on this particular line for 25 minutes now. OK, update, someone answered at about 28 minutes and although the answer for this one wasn't what I wanted either, it is progress and the woman who answered seemed nicer and more intelligent than the DMV lady. I still have untold bureaucracy to get through and I ignored Joshua's dirty diaper and fed both Nathan and Joshua ice cream at 4pm to keep them happy. but I got through on the phone to a real person. Yeah!

1 comments:

Arnold said...

And don't you just find yourself treasuring that one nice person so much you want to get his/her direct phone number and never call anyone else even though you realize at some level how inappropriate and self-defeating that would be?

We've all been there. If not with the DMV or Social Services, with the VA or Social Security. The real frustrating thing is when it is your own agency which is acting that way! Of course, sometimes you get to actually bang heads when that happens.