Friday, April 2, 2010

Irony

So my beautiful, growing-up-too-fast, first born baby boy came home with an award the other day. An award for good citizenship for the months of January, February, and March. He was congratulated by the principal and got a certificate and a doughnut breakfast at school. And his father and I would have been so stink'n proud of him except that that exact same day he was sent to the school councilor because he had gotten into a fight. I mean, what kid gets an award for awesome good behavior and then picks a fight with his classmate on the same day? Oh that's right, a Lucindo.
He was OK with seeing the councilor (a little too OK for my "my children will not end up in jail if I have anything to say about it" side of me) and he was even supportive of his punishment of no T.V. and an early bed time. I was starting to wonder if I needed to tack on some additional penalty just to get a little remorse out of the kid. But then he was tucked into bed an hour earlier than normal, and Josh was enjoying some alone time with me, when Nathan started to realise that maybe everything wasn't OK. He kept coming out of his room for some reason or another and I kept sending him back. Even after Joshua was in bed and asleep, Nathan was still awake and restless. He was very somber and I asked him if he would like to sleep with Josh. Nathan nodded, said a quiet yes, snuggled up next to his brother, and then he slept.
Keeping our fingers crossed for the next time.

0 comments: