Saturday, February 13, 2010

Nathan's New Smile

Poor Nathan has been having some dozy dentist appointments lately. Last November/ December when we had our regular checkups, the dentist discovered three cavities. We had them take care of them and I was really proud of well he did with his first cavities.
Fast forward a couple months and Nathan is still complaining about his teeth. Richard takes a look in his mouth and sees what looks like an abscess. Richard found a new dentist and I took Nathan by for a check up. Apparently, two of the fillings fell out and one of the cavities started growing again. Nathan had a huge infection, which, even after a week of antibiotics, was still going strong when they pulled it out last week. After pulling the tooth, the area drained out and the infection was basically taken care of then. It was NOT fun for Nathan and I ended up buying him a new video game to make up for it.
Yesterday's appointment was better but Nathan was still understandably nervous. The took care of another cavity, sealed his molars, took a mold for the spacer he will need for the missing tooth, and pulled his two front teeth which were being stubborn on coming out. He did a really good job and Francisco (the amazingly wonderful hygienist in the office) made sure he got plenty of stickers.
So here is Nathan's new smile. Glad he can smile about it all.

7 comments:

Carolyn Loveridge said...

Wow, what an experience. I'm glad you changed dentists. Nathan - you look good with your two front teeth waiting for new ones. Uncle Lee had to have baby teeth pulled when he was about your age because they didn't want to come out either.

Jessica said...

So I trust there will be no more morning donuts with chocolate milk showing up at my house?

Natalie said...

I don't know about that but maybe I can convince them to chew a piece pf Trident afterwards.

Lisa said...

And I thought my dentist appointments were bad! We're so glad Nathan is going to be feeling better now and we think the front-toothless grin is awesome (I was going to say adorable, but I'm sure he's too grown up for that kind of talk :-)

Lois Lane said...

I hate when our children need to go through major things like this. But I have to say they are pretty amazing at they handle it! Hopefully Nathan will keep getting better!

Unknown said...

it is hard work to take care of teeth, but some things seem to be hereditary and also the result of some medicines we take. take it day by day. I know some good dentists if you need any in the future

Jenjenbug said...

WOW! Glad it all got taken care of!!